Thursday, April 8, 2010

When Sparks Don't Fly

So I mentioned a few posts ago that one of my girlfriends wanted to set me up with a nice Jewish guy she knew. He and I e-mailed for a bit and finally set up a date for last night.

I have to say I had a great time, the conversation was easy, he was super nice, and the place was really fun. But there was just no spark on my end. I felt like I was hanging out with a friend. Now, I know I don't necessarily have to feel all crazy and lovey after meeting someone for the first time. I know that things can develop over time, I just don't see that happening.

Some people think that the spark, the butterflies, the whatever you want to call it can be fleeting and doesn't make a relationship last. But shouldn't you walk away from a date hoping he'll call, or wondering when you are going to see him again?

6 comments:

Crusher said...

Hi! Sending hugs! Try again, even if only as friends. I didn't have lots of butterflies about Asswilde initially, but I knew that he was fun and I'd like to hang out with him.

BTW - no hiking. We may have a campfire post reception, but it's optional :)

Little Match Girl said...

Crusher! I love a good campfire...will there be marshmellows?!

MCW said...

I just wrote a post about this...It is so hard. But, if he asks you out again I do think you can go and then you will know you at least gave it your best shot!

mk said...

I agree completely. Spark is key and usually when I don't feel it right away, I never do. Still, I give it the benefit of the doubt and usually go out with them at least once more just to be sure.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Sister! Crush is right--do go out with him again because you might see something you didn't see the first time. Make sure you do a different activity than you did the first date so the environment is different--it might just bring out some other qualities that you didn't notice or didn't get a chance to experience before. XXOO

Anonymous said...

hi it's sharon :) No you do not need "sparks" on the first date. All you need is good conversation and attraction. The sparks may come on the 2nd or 3rd date as they did in my case- and now we are married with 2 kids!!! Trust me, sometimes life is full of surprises and you just never know how things will play out. After my 1st date with David - I thought, ok, that was fun and he's cute- but I went home and kind of forgot about it. And then he called or emailed a few days later and I was like- ok why not. And then the sparks started flying (some on our 2nd date and then tons on the 3rd date) and I was like -whaaaaat???!!! Who knew?! Def give him 1-2 more chances. You just never know!!!!