Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving Update!

I know I took me a while to put up this post. But Thanksgiving weekend was such a whirlwind I feel like I have been playing catch up with my sleep every since! Okay, so here goes...

Wednesday Night
M came into the city and we met my friend A and her parents for dinner at one of our favorite local places, Picnic. If you have not been try to get there, the food is always fresh and delicious and they have a reasonable wines by the glass list! We had a really yummy dinner where M and A's dad really hit it off talking about things the rest of us didn't really understand (technology stuff is not my area of expertise). After dinner A cam back to my place with us where we had a beer and I started to make the treats I would be bringing to Thanksgiving dinner. M took Poppy for a walk while A and I talked about some of her adventures in dating and relationships (but that could be a whole other blog!). Anyway, I made a kale salad and an apple crumble which kept me awake till after 1AM! M was so great, he saw that I was fading and made me get into bed while he waited for the crumble to come out of the oven.
I had to be up at around 4:30 since I was working on Thursday at my second job at the gym. I was there from 5:30am-2pm (and people were still calling upset that we were not open longer!). I was exhausted after the night before, not getting much sleep, and worried that my cooking would not be received well. While I was at work, M took Poppy (and the food I had prepared) and drove out to New Jersey to get some stuff for his place. It was a good way for Poppy to get used to being there and for M to spend some time with her. I took the bus out to meet him when I was done with work and had enough time to rest for about a half an hour before we had to change and head over to his parent's house.
When we got there things were in full swing! His dad had prepared most of the meal (including the yummy turkey) and his mom was busy putting out cheese plates and dips for before dinner. The house was just a tiny bit cleaner then the last time I was there, but the piles were still visible. And his mom was wearing sweat pants and an oversized t-shirt yet again. I guess that is just her style? Although, if I were having fifteen people over I would put a little effort into my appearance, but that's me. Anyway, his whole family was there, all the brothers and sisters, cousins, aunt, uncle, and grandparents. I met them all and I think things went really well. His grandmother really liked Poppy (in fact when he saw her on Monday she asked about Poppy) and was really quite a character. I enjoyed spending time with them and it really felt comfortable and easy. I didn't feel any pressure or nervousness and I don't think they did either. When we got home later that evening his mother called to speak to me just to once again thank me for bringing food as well as helping to clean up. I thought that was so nice and maybe showed that she is starting to like me.
(Black) Friday
I have never gone shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving, so I guess there is a first time for everything. M just moved into a new place and needed alot of stuff to make it livable. I mean there is a bed, couch, TV, and some basics, but there were lots of things lacking. So we headed out to brave the crowds. Our first stop was Petsmart to get some things for Poppy so that she will feel at home at M's place. Poppy had lots of fun walking around the store picking out toys and treats! After dropping Poppy off at home to enjoy her new stuff, we headed to Costco. The crowd was not bad at all and M got the stuff he needed (including an air mattress for overnight guests like my sister and brother-in-law who come into town tomorrow!!). The next stop was Target where the crowds were a bit much, especially around the toy isles, oy vey! But since it was later in the day, I think we missed the big 4AM rush! We got a few more things for M's place and some stuff for me to keep there as well. After that I was so hungry that we we decided it was time for some lunch. Now, I know some might laugh at me, but I am a sucker for a salad bar. So off we went to Ruby Tuesday in the mall. That was our first foray into the wild that is known as Black Friday. The crowds were INSANE! I would be very happy to never go to the mall on Black Friday ever again. But we had one more stop to make and that was Bed Bath and Beyond. I feel like we spent the most time in that store because there was really just so much to get. From bedding to silverware to towels, you get the idea. Anyway, after that I was pretty much done. All I wanted to do was go home, put on some comfy pants and call it a day. However, M had other plans. When we got home there was little time to rest before we headed back to his parent's house for Thanksgiving Part II. Basically helping to eat the leftovers from the night before. Everything was fine (his mother wore the SAME outfit) and I was pretty quiet from being so tired. I think M got the picture and we didn't stay for dessert, instead we headed home and I fell asleep pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow.
The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful, lots of walks with Poppy, working at the gym both Saturday and Sunday, making breakfast together and planning our Hanukkah celebrations! We are heading upstate this weekend with my sister and BIL (brother-in-law) to visit my parents in Saratoga. This will be M's first time meeting my family, so I am pretty excited for that! Anyway, tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, so to all who celebrate, I hope you enjoy the festival of lights!


Dee Stephens said...

Happy Hannukah! Sounds like it was successful! Not sure about his Mom and her attire but if she's no drama than I wouldn't worry about it!

MCW said...

I agree with Dee, even though you may not agree with mom's attire at least all was calm and comfortable!

Where does M live in NJ?