Monday, October 26, 2009

A Broken Heart

I am sorry I haven't posted, my accomplice had to remind me to even write something. But I don't have much to say at the moment, other than some sad news.

My amazing grandfather passed away last weekend. So I was home for the funeral and to sit Shiva with my family. I am still really sad and in a way my heart is broken. I was the oldest grandchild, and I always felt a special connection to my grandfather. So while this hasn't really been a shock, it has been sad and difficult. So in honor and memory, let me share with you a little about my Grandpa....

Grandpa was born in Lodz, Poland in 1925. He survived the Lodz Ghetto (the last ghetto to be liquidated during the Holocaust) by hiding underground with his family. After the war he spent some time in Italy and then Canada where he met and married my grandmother. Together they made their way to Miami, FL where they started their family. My grandfather's hometown of Lodz was an industrial city, so he was a skilled tool and die maker. He eventually turned his skills into a profitable business by designing and manufacturing outdoor furniture. I grew up going to visit his factory and remember thinking how big it was. How big my grandpa was. He was a very active member of the South Florida Jewish community, working to make sure our synagogue had room and land to grow, giving money to various causes, and even traveling back to Poland on numerous occasions on the March of the Living which became his cause of choice.
Beyond all of that, he was really just my Grandpa, who would be happy to eat chicken (even with feathers on it) as long as he was surrounded by his family. He taught me the value of education, even though he said he went to "The school of hard knocks" and the importance of leading the Jewish life (it is because of him finding a Jewish man is so important to me). He survived the darkest hour of humanity and brought so much life and light to our family. His presence will be greatly missed, but he will always be loved and never forgotten.

4 comments:

MCW said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I feel the same way about mine and it makes me so upset when someone loses someone they love so much. He must have been such a strong man. I would love to hear more details about him and his journey.

DYAP said...

I miss him too!! :(

Accomplice said...

Grandpa was an amazing man. He called me his Boston granddaughter, and managed to love me, even though I'm a Jesus Lover! :-) I have tons of great memories of him, he was my Miami Jewish Grandpa-every girl should have one! What an awesome guy, what a great loss. I firmly believe, however, that his legacy will continue to grow.

Anonymous said...

That was lovely my friend (and part Sister). Grandpa would be proud of your tribute and was very proud of you. XXOO See you around the Chrismas tree (or is it the Hannukah torch?--I'll have to ask Little Accomplice)